Nursery education is not statutory. Parents/carers who are interested in a Nursery place at Thorntree for their child can register their interest with the school when the child is 2 years 6 months old, although the length of time on a waiting list is not a criterion for admission to the Nursery. Pupils are admitted using the Greenwich criteria:
1. Children with special educational needs supported by a letter from a health visitor, doctor or social worker.
2. Children for whom it is the nearest nursery school or class.
3. Children who are brothers and sisters of, or who live at the same address as, pupils on the primary school roll at the time the child is due to start nursery education.
Children are admitted the term after their 3rd birthday and parents/carers will be contacted prior to admission.
Thorntree Main School
Your child’s entry into a primary school is decided by your local council. Parents/carers wishing to apply for a place should complete an online Common Application Form available on the Royal Borough of Greenwich website (or you can request a form from the Admissions Section at the Woolwich Centre if you do not have access to the internet).
When there are more applicants than places, Greenwich Council applies the admission or ‘oversubscription’ criteria (after taking account of any children for whom the school is named on a statement of special educational needs).The criteria, in priority order are:
1. Children in care of the Authority
2. Siblings (brothers and sisters)
3. Pupils for whom it is the nearest community school
4. Other applicants, ranked according to home/school distance